One of the best holistic learning schools in the Portland, Oregon area. Students range from preschool through 5th grade.
We aim to bring universal spiritual principles into the daily lives of our students through experiential learning and life skills development for the “whole” child. By helping children fulfill their highest potential as individuals, and emphasizing a learning process that brings greater happiness, peace, and harmony. Bright, curious and creative children show us possibilities for a better future.
We endeavor to help build brighter futures for our students, our community, and the world around us.
A Holistic View
Living Wisdom School is based on Education for Life, a holistic educational model that seeks to bring out the best in each child through a balanced and individualized curriculum, within a joyful, heart-centered learning environment. The seminal book, Education for Life was written by J. Donald Walters, also known as Swami Kriyananda.
Our philosophy is rooted in the teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda, the great Indian teacher who introduced yogic principles to America. Yogananda is best known for authoring one of the spiritual classics of our time, Autobiography of a Yogi.
Living Wisdom School helps children to develop their own unique potential and gives them the tools to make life choices that lead to lasting happiness.
Student-Centered for Success
Our school provides a holistic educational experience for children throughout Oregon state, but particularly in the greater Portland area.
We look at each child individually and their potential to grow and learn, seeking to bring out their natural curiosity, creativity, and strengths. The success of our individualized learning process and character building is evident in the graduates of the program. They become balanced, compassionate and clear about who they are and how they can serve in the world. They bring fresh solutions to local and global issues in a multitude of ways.
- A safe, uplifting environment where a child’s natural curiosity is nurtured.
- Self-understanding and balanced growth: body, feeling, mind, will, and spirit.
- A sound academic program that gives students the foundation to thrive in almost any private or public school program.
- Individual attention, made possible through small classes of from six to twelve students.
- Universal values such as honesty, generosity, love, and living in harmony with each other, nature, and all of life.
- Consistent, gentle guidance to help children recognize for themselves which actions bring them happiness (such as kindness and generosity) and which actions make them feel diminished and unhappy (such as selfishness and bullying).
- Skills for right living, including positive attitude, concentration, how to achieve one\’s goals, how to control emotions, how to work in cooperation and collaboration, and how to be a friend.